I've contributed to ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com, GQ, Outside, SB Nation Longform, The Red Bulletin, Coastal Living, Fast Company, SLAM, Our State, Yahoo! Sports' The PostGame, The Good Men Project, the Charlotte Observer, the Raleigh News & Observer, The Kenly News, and more. (Oh, and I wrote a book called The Edge of Legend.)
I'll have some fiction stuff published in 2013 — details coming soon.
For now, here's some of my journalism.
- The Good Hurt: How Ray King Lives and Plays Basketball with Cancer | Ray King has leukemia and plays Division I basketball, AND he just helped NC Central to its best DI season ever. (SB Nation Longform | 6,000 words)
- Blind Ambition | Captain Ivan Castro lost his sight in Iraq but gained a new, inspiring, obsessive and even harmful life in the States, as one of the best endurance athletes of his age. (ESPN.com/ESPN The Magazine presented by Outside The Lines | 6,000 words)
- Nobody Walks Alone | After a bullet put former hoops all-star Mike Williams in a wheelchair, an old ally helped him rise again. (ESPN The Magazine | 3,000 words)
- Mad For Carolina | Think you're wild about March Madness? You've got nothing on this guy. Meet Greg Cauley, the most dedicated—or, depending on who you ask, the craziest—college sports fan in America. (GQ | 3,500 words)
- James Stewart: Back on Track | A profile of motocross legend James Stewart as he tries to recover from bad injuries and a worse year in order to prove that despite what everyone thinks, he's not in the twilight of his career—to prove it to his fans and opponents, yeah, but most of all, to himself. (The Red Bulletin | 3,000 words)
- The First Legend | Long before it was common for basketball players to be known worldwide or Michael Jordan had made his mark in Wilmington, NC, Meadowlark Lemon used his platform as the Harlem Globetrotters' "Clown Prince of Basketball" to reach fans of all ages and races. (SLAM | 3,000 words)
- First Spartan Race A True Test of Will (ESPN.com | 1,000 words)
- Beginnings | An excerpt from my book The Edge of Legend.
Nature and Science
- Golfer Swallowed By Golf Course (Outside | 1,200 words)
- How A Tiny Southern Town Handles a Turkey Vulture Invasion (Outside | 1,200 words)
- Fort Fisher Aquarium Shows Off Prehistoric Megalodon (The News & Observer | 2,000 words)
- Scotty McCreery | The American Idol winner and Brad Paisley opening act on just trying to play varsity baseball as a super famous high school senior (ESPN The Magazine) | Extras
- Danny McBride | How he learned to pitch for filming Eastbound & Down (ESPN The Magazine) | Extras
- Randy Couture | The UFC legend talks about his charity motorcycle ride (ESPN.com)
- Jorge Posada | The Yankees' former catcher talks about his charity bowling tournament (ESPN.com)